Cake with chestnut flour: the Calabrian recipe
The Italian regions where the cake is made with chestnut flour are numerous and, in each, this recipe acquires a different peculiarity. In Calabria, for example, melted chocolate is used, combined with an abundant dose of butter.
In this recipe we will explain how to make an exquisite cake with chestnut flour and chocolate, according to tradition.
Cake with chestnut flour: the ingredients
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 sachet of yeast for cakes
- 90 g of sugar
- 250 g of chestnut flour
- 130 g of butter
- 80 g of dark chocolate
Cake with chestnut flour: the steps
- To make the cake with chestnut flour, you have to separate the egg yolks from the whites, then beat the first ones in a bowl with the sugar until you get a swollen and fluffy consistency. After preparing the egg yolks, beat the whites in another bowl, adding a pinch of salt. When the egg whites are whipped, keep them to one side.
- Then, add the sifted flour, cocoa powder, butter previously softened to room temperature and the yeast to the bowl with the yolks and mix gently so that no lumps are formed in the mixture.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a small saucepan, stirring continuously, then add it to the mixture together with the egg whites beaten. Mix all the ingredients with a movement from bottom to top with the help of a wooden spoon so as not to risk disassembling the egg whites.
- Line a cake tin with baking paper, pour the mixture into the baking tin and bake at 180°C for about 35 minutes. When the cake with chestnut flour and chocolate is ready, remove from the oven and wait for it to cool down before serving.