Turnip greens and sausage: the Calabrian recipe
The turnip greens and sausage, "vruacculi i rapa e sazizza" in the local dialect, are a typical preparation of the city of Cosenza. In addition to being a delicious and appreciated winter dish, it has the peculiarity of representing a complete meal as it is eaten with a nice slice of bread, perhaps from Cuti, Tessano or Pietrafitta.
Turnip greens and sausage: the ingredients
- Turnip greens
- Fresh Calabrian spicy sausage
- EVO Oil
Turnip greens and sausage: the recipe
- The first thing to do is to clean the turnip greens removing the hardest leaves and washing them with plenty of cold water.
- Then, fry the oil and garlic in a pan and add the turnip greens without draining them (the water retained by the leaves will help the stewing process), then cover with a lid and lower the heat. Once the volume of vegetables is reduced, season with salt at will (be careful, the sausage already has a strong savory component).
- In the meantime, place another pan over the heat with water and cook the sausage until it boils. From that moment, after another 10 minutes, remove the water, pierce the sausage with the prongs of a fork and continue cooking adding a drizzle of oil.
- Once cooked, the sausage should be cut into pieces and added to the turnip greens. This dish must necessarily be served hot. Great in combination with a full-bodied and enveloping red wine. Enjoy your meal!